Thread: If Trump is so bad, why weren't you supporting Hillary?

Organisation
    PerfectPontiff 8th degree

Default If Trump is so bad, why weren't you supporting Hillary?

I think enough time has passed since the election. Let's talk about why so many of us weren't supporting Hillary (with a straight face)

Organisation
    Red Army Faction Reunited

Quote Originally Posted by willowtooth View Post
    I think enough time has passed since the election. Let's talk about why so many of us weren't supporting Hillary (with a straight face)
    Well I don't know about you guys, but I still had some dignity left to preserve.
    An injury to one is an injury to all -Industrial Workers of the World

The free development of each is the condition for the free development of all -Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels

While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free -Eugene V. Debs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ComradeAllende For This Useful Post:

Spotted the liberal.
    Last edited by rylasasin; 22nd March 2017 at 12:34.

Blog Entries

Wt -- wtf

Organisation
    PerfectPontiff 8th degree

Everybody's so down on Trump these days

Because she's more similar than different to Trump, and because supporting the failed policies of the Democratic establishment is what drove many voters to vote for Trump.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSonRising For This Useful Post:

1. First and foremost: I'm not a US citizen.
    2. I could only justify supporting Hillary in swing states, I guess.
    3. Lesser evilism is kind of pointless.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ale Brider For This Useful Post:

I ended up voting for her when it started to look like Trump had the upper hand in the last few weeks of the election. I was more interested in preventing him from getting to nominate a supreme court justice rather than getting her elected though. To be honest the day after the election I had mixed feelings about the result. As bad as it is that he won I can't say seeing her lose wasn't satisfying on some level. She was a bad candidate and she's just an awful person in general.

Because I figured, being a welfare recipient, that both Clinton and Trump have anti-welfare politics but if Clinton cuts welfare people are going to tell me that it's fine and I should stop complaining because she's not a republican and it would be so much worse if bla bla bla, and I should fix that problem by voting for more Democrats, while if Trump does it, there will be massive resistance campaigns dedicated to protecting people like me.

So far I am right, and after struggling through the last two years of the Obama administration to keep myself indoors through a botched SSI application, I raised $400 the day after the election to help me with legal fees. Literally in one day.

Trump's a bad man, but the fact that everyone knows that makes this a much better country.

For the record, I voted (and actively campaigned) for Jill Stein, even though I'm not a huge fan of her now.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whimslcott For This Useful Post:

Two choices in the diverse multi-ethnic and multicultural landscape that is America? That's not democracy. That's criminal.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jdneel For This Useful Post:

Because Hillary is a perfect example of liberalism. She's got no vision, revolutionary spirit, no decent policies, and is another enemy of the working class. But, rather then being upfront about it like Trump, she tried so hard to seem that she was a working class women. Even though she spent most of her life acquiring more power for the bourgeoisie.
    "The assumption that what currently exists must exist is the acid that corrodes all visionary thinking."
    -Murray Bookchin

Its much more simple than what the people in this thread have already said. IF Hillary, or someone like her, COULD represent a force that could stop the ongoing reaction (represented by Le Penn, Trump, Wilders etc...) sure, one could hold one's nose and enter the stink of supporting them. They cannot. At the present, liberalism has no hope of stopping such a reaction EVEN IF they win elections.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Antiochus For This Useful Post:

I think that the real cause of so many people voted for Donald Trump was really that Donald Trump sold himself as an anti-war progressive populist. Even Donald Trump's daughter said in one of the Donald Trump major pre-election political events that all the millions of poor people of the USA are her daughters and sons. (And the great majority believed it, the great majority of US citizens and US voters are slaves a bunch of slaves. They buy and drive the car that other people drive, they have the same physical gestures that other people have, they celebrate the holidays that other americans celebrate. The USA is a country of copy-cats, of clones in every sector of their lives)

Americans are like that for every thing. For example in the USA if you have a family and children, and you don't celebrate the children's holidays (like Halloween) your own neighbors will hate you. This is just the way that most people in the USA are, and add to that many negative traits of the behaviour of most US citizens, like silence. This is a silent country where people hate talking with others about their own personal problems. And if you try to talk with them, they turn their backs on you and get violent

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeAllende View Post
    Well I don't know about you guys, but I still had some dignity left to preserve.

Because it is not a strategy that will either weaken the right or increase the likelihood of class resistance. We have very marginal impact on national elections so our basic tasks remain the same although more urgency to confront an emboldened far right (who may have been emboldened even if Clinton won)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmie Higgins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post
    Its much more simple than what the people in this thread have already said. IF Hillary, or someone like her, COULD represent a force that could stop the ongoing reaction (represented by Le Penn, Trump, Wilders etc...) sure, one could hold one's nose and enter the stink of supporting them. They cannot. At the present, liberalism has no hope of stopping such a reaction EVEN IF they win elections.
    +10 on this. 40 years of neoliberalism and liberal/conservative agreement on this in the context of declining reform/labor movements + general capitalist crisis produced the space for far right movements... so even if Trump or Le Pen are defeated electorally (or by buerocrats dragging trump into some pseudo-political scandal), what they represent remains--a festering and growing middle class right-wing movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk