Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a job as a Waiter, need advice!

Blog Entries

Default Got a job as a Waiter, need advice!

Earlier today I went to a job interview for a Waiter position at a hotel, I did pretty well because they offered me a trial which is tomorrow at 6pm.

I'm really nervous because I've never been in employment before, let alone been a waiter.

If anyone here has been a waiter I need advice because they are throwing me in the deep end with little/no training.

Thanks

Organisation
    Kasama Project, Rev-Left Study Guide Project
    Blog Entries

Thread moved to Mutual Aid
    THE REV-LEFT STUDY GUIDE PROJECT
    Contribute today and help facilitate the spread of revolutionary knowledge.

I was a waiter my last job. They handed me a menu, a nametag, a couple shirts, and told me to study the menu, prices, and a manual they sent me in an e-mail. Then I shadowed a more experienced person for a couple hours, then they shadowed me and made sure I could do it. I was considered a trainee for a couple more weeks. After that, they expected me to know everything. You can only learn the basics fast. Learning how to handle people is a lifelong subject.

If you've never done it before, and they offered you nothing, no menu, no training material, then I don't know what the fuck they expect. Try not to be nervous, I suppose. Some newbs don't know how to talk to strangers. Remember that the people you're serving pay your bills, because your employer sure as fuck isn't going to pay you enough to pay bills.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck, and I hope they tip well.
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards capital to be born?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunk For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Communistisch Platform - Kompas
    Blog Entries

Don't dropp stuff.
    Is this resistance or a costume party?
    Either way I think black with bandanas is a boring theme.

fka Creep

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bad ideas actualised by alcohol For This Useful Post:

Be kind.

I'm sure you'll be okay.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]"Body tissue deprived of life energy turns cancerous. Cancer is the hysteria of cells condemned to death. Cancer and fascism are closely related. Fascism is the frenzy of sexual cripples. The swastika owes its magnetism to being a symbol of two bodies locked in genital embrace. It all stems from a longing for love. Comrades, make love joyously and without fear."

[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma]Khrushchev: "It’s interesting, isn’t it? I’m of working class origin while your family were landlords."
    Zhou: "Yes, and we each betrayed our class!"[/FONT]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robespierres Neck For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Creep View Post
    Don't dropp stuff.
    That's my worst fear.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
    If you've never done it before, and they offered you nothing, no menu, no training material, then I don't know what the fuck they expect. Try not to be nervous, I suppose. Some newbs don't know how to talk to strangers. Remember that the people you're serving pay your bills, because your employer sure as fuck isn't going to pay you enough to pay bills.
    I've never done it before and as far as I know, there will be no training. I arrive at 5:55pm, help them set up, then serve until 8pm. I am guessing I will either get the job or not based on my performance later today.

I am nervous as fuck. I really need this job, but I'm a social retard and I know I am gonna mess up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:

Nox, mess up and be ok with it. Everybody fucks up.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ele'ill For This Useful Post:

You'll be expected to make a few mistakes as you're new and haven't worked before. Just be polite and learn the basics and you'll be alright. It's when you've been there a few months and you're fucking up that there's a problem.

Blog Entries

I went and did it, it wasn't nearly as hard as I expected it to be. The waitress I worked with was pretty nice too.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    CPGB; sympathizer of the Ray O. Light in the USA

I know a trick a few friends use. Get down-pat a system of abbreviations for items...a lot easier to write "OJ" as opposed to "orange juice" use "w/" for with. etc.

You'll want to just relax and be super curteous, even if they hassle you: "chips are cold" "hair in my soup", etc.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peoples' War For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Exsulatus

Is it waiting tables at a restaurant or for events/ conventions? Convention work is nice because there is lots of down time and the pay is decent.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ellipsis For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theredson View Post
    Is it waiting tables at a restaurant or for events/ conventions? Convention work is nice because there is lots of down time and the pay is decent.
    It's both. I got the job btw.

One thing I gotta say is that the hotel is pretty good because they let the waiters keep all the tips, and it's a high end hotel so people tip a lot by UK standards.

But I'm very very very nervous about coworkers. For three days next week I will have to meet a new set of coworkers and it will be extremely awkward. Fuck, for god's sake, a part of me wishes I didn't get the job because of meeting the new coworkers, but I need it and I'm gonna force myself to do it for my own good. Aaaaaaaargh.

I'm normally a fairly confident person, but meeting new people in groups just make me totally crumble. I'm pretty much fine one-on-one though, it's just when there's more than one of them.

If anyone has any advice or has been in a similar situation before, please help me! D:

Don't worry about your coworkers. They have all been in your place before. And as for dropping stuff, you will do it eventually so why worry? This can be an extremely fun, and at the same time stressful job. You will become very close with the people you work with. Im a manager now, I do miss it. Conrgats!
    Brospierre-Albanian baseball was played with a frozen ball of shit and tree branch
    "History knows no greater display of courage than that shown by the people of the Soviet Union."
    Henry L. Stimson: U.S. Secretary of War
    Take the word “fear” and the phrase “for what, it’s not going to change anything” out of your minds and take control of your future.
    [I]Juan Jose Fernandez, Asturias
    "I want to give a really bad party. I mean it. I want to give a party where there's a brawl and seductions and people going home with their feelings hurt and women passed out in the cabinet de toilette. You wait and see"

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prometeo liberado For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbeard View Post
    Don't worry about your coworkers. They have all been in your place before. And as for dropping stuff, you will do it eventually so why worry? This can be an extremely fun, and at the same time stressful job. You will become very close with the people you work with. Im a manager now, I do miss it. Conrgats!
    To be honest it's fine, but the only time I freak out is when they have a meeting before each evening service. All the waiters/waitresses are sat down and I'm the new guy and it's just unbearably awkward :P I'm a pretty socially awkward and distant person so it will certainly take a while to get acquainted with them.

They will start me off as a runner (just taking out food) and they'll probably get me to carry several plates on a tray, I am very worried about dropping stuff.

I freak out is when they have a meeting before each evening service
    "Line-Up" is a little intimidating at first. After I dropped my first plate and got railed by the Chef I was totaly over being stressed by it. Pretty soon you will be able to endure heat from the plates that would make most people cry and your arms will look like Popeyes arms. Fun stuff!!
    Brospierre-Albanian baseball was played with a frozen ball of shit and tree branch
    "History knows no greater display of courage than that shown by the people of the Soviet Union."
    Henry L. Stimson: U.S. Secretary of War
    Take the word “fear” and the phrase “for what, it’s not going to change anything” out of your minds and take control of your future.
    [I]Juan Jose Fernandez, Asturias
    "I want to give a really bad party. I mean it. I want to give a party where there's a brawl and seductions and people going home with their feelings hurt and women passed out in the cabinet de toilette. You wait and see"

Be sincere with customers, not fake just to try and get more tips. If you want more pay get it off the fucking boss not us.

Quote Originally Posted by shuras View Post
    Be sincere with customers, not fake just to try and get more tips. If you want more pay get it off the fucking boss not us.
    Tipping isn't customary here, can fake being nice all you want and still get squat. If it's a nice hotel then you'll probably more likely to get tips than if you worked in a bar, but it's up to the conscious of the individual tipper.
    'Detente is peace, love, and more dank ass medals for me' - Brezhnev

Organisation
    PSL

i remember when i was a waiter i dropped a tray of drinks right in some guy's lap. it was my first table and first day on the job. he got a free lunch and was pretty happy with that. you'll be alright.

pro tips: absolutely do not be intimidated by other kitchen/wait staff that have been there longer than you. they are full of shit. also, absolutely *do* have sex with as many of your coworkers as possible.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to teflon_john For This Useful Post:

If you're nervous about your coworkers, just smile and remember their names and greet them by it. People love to hear their own names. good luck!
    [FONT=Arial]"Can a brother get a little peace?
    There's war in the streets
    and a war in the middle east.
    Instead of a war on poverty,
    they got a war on drugs
    so the police can bother me"
    [/FONT]

31. The Following User Says Thank You to maskerade For This Useful Post: