Thread: Honest question

Organisation
    ICC & PBJ sympathizer

Default Honest question

sorry if this doesn't warrant a thread but honest question. What do you think of me trying to take the AP World History, U.S. History, European History, and Comparative Government exams without taking the classes? The teachers make it seem like it's so hard put I've read the review sheets and I just refuse to bvelieve that these exams can be all that hard. I already know most of the stuff, except in more detail, and anything I'm not too in-depth familiar with doesn't seem like anything an Encyclopedic search can't solve. Do I come off as someone who can handle those exams?
    fka xx1994xx

Organisation
    Poop
    Blog Entries

Why wouldn't you want to take the classes?
    "The exploited are not carriers of any positive project, be it even the classless society (which all too closely resembles the productive set up). Capital is their only community. They can only escape by destroying everything that makes them exploited...Capitalism has not created the conditions of its overcoming in communism-the famous bourgeoisie forging the arms of its own extinction-but of a world of horrors." -At Daggers Drawn

"Our strategy is therefore the following: to establish and maintain a series of centers of desertion, or poles of secession, of rallying points. For runaways. For those who leave. A series of places where we can escape from the influence of a civilization that is headed for the abyss." -Tiqqun, Call

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brosa Luxemburg For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    CWI

Well I "examined out" of AP English and I actually regret that I did. I feel I missed so much not being in the classroom actually studying the material with a teacher.

Its sad that our educational system is increasingly based on ability to pass tests.As both a teacher and a student I feel there is so much that can only be learned though reading, classroom discussion and debate, and just doing class assignments which can't be gotten out of AP credits.

If you have any love or fondness for history and political science, I'd say take the classes.

On the other hand, if you honestly feel your school is substandard, the teachers are mediocre, and you won't be able to gain anything being in school longer than you absolutely have to, take the tests and get out of there.If that's the case see if there is still a way for you to gain the same experiences when you're at college.

School, yeah it often sucks and its a means of indoctrination.The good thing about it though, if you're going to a public school, its free for the students.Where else will you find people working their butt off so you can learn, providing a service, and you don't have to pay a cent?

School-use it instead of letting it use you. Fuck the tests, learn in spite of them.
    To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

Arundhati Roy

Lenina Rosenweg is a glorious beacon of light

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenina Rosenweg For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    ICC & PBJ sympathizer

Don't get me wrong, I would love to take those classes. But next year is my senior year and I'm already taking AP Psychology, U.S. Government, and English Literature, and World History is 10th grade class while U.S. History is an 11th grade (which I was supposed to take this year, but due to not doing the summer assignment I had to take Honors). Also, European History and Comparative Government isn't even offered in my school. I was just thinking that I might as well try to get some college credits, if the education system is going to be so shitty then I might as well try to benefit from it.

The main crux of the question is: are those tests really all that hard? All I really do in U.S. History Honors is stare off into space most of the class and then finish the test 40 minutes before the whole class does and even correct my teacher on some things. And this is supposed to be a pretty damn good high school relative to the rest of Florida, or even the whole Southern United States.
    fka xx1994xx

Organisation
    CWI

I understand. If the classes aren't offered at your school take the AP then.

It may be just me but it seems easier to learn history on my own, English is more difficult to learn on one's own. I never studied Shakespeare in school and I've long regretted this.
    To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

Arundhati Roy

Lenina Rosenweg is a glorious beacon of light

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenina Rosenweg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xx1994xx View Post
    sorry if this doesn't warrant a thread but honest question. What do you think of me trying to take the AP World History, U.S. History, European History, and Comparative Government exams without taking the classes? The teachers make it seem like it's so hard put I've read the review sheets and I just refuse to bvelieve that these exams can be all that hard. I already know most of the stuff, except in more detail, and anything I'm not too in-depth familiar with doesn't seem like anything an Encyclopedic search can't solve. Do I come off as someone who can handle those exams?
    Being that you are on an obscure political forum and have read some of the Marxist tomes your analytic capabilities for social science subjects are probably considerably beyond those of an average AP student. From what I hear Comparative government is quite an easy AP so don't really worry. The content is not too difficult. What I contend is more difficult for most people is essay writing and critical thinking. Critical thinking is usually not taught in classes and is something that you pick up on your own. You should practice writing essays in general as those would help.

AP Euro is notoriously difficult among the AP's, but you should be able to get a five if you study it in depth. That being said, if you study AP Euro in depth, you will probably get a five in AP World being that world history is pretty Euro-centric (of course do actually study the topics for AP world).

AP US is quite boring and I really hated that class. It also had to do with my teacher being a dickhead.

But this being said, I would have loved to have taken AP's without taking the classes, but my high school tries to preserve its reputation by not allowing that so basically it stuck me with a bunch of useless work that I didn't want to do.
    “How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?” Charles Bukowski, Factotum
    "In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans, as 'right-to-work.' It provides no 'rights' and no 'works.' Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom of collective bargaining... We demand this fraud be stopped." MLK
    -fka Redbrother

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ocean Seal For This Useful Post:

Last edited by Qavvik; 16th July 2012 at 05:44.

Organisation
    ISO

I agree, you might as well take the classes for the practice if nothing else. If you know the material and it's not a huge burdon to take the classes, you can read "A People's History" or other left-wing books that cover the same ground and then argue with the teacher and then dumb-down your responses on the test to meet what they are looking for .

I took the AP history test even though my High School didn't have any AP history classes - I actually forgot that I had signed up for it and would have missed the test if I didn't run into some classmates who were on their way to take it. The test mostly asked about the Civil Rights movement but my US history class had only covered up to WWII! I got a 3 without preperation and I don't think that score did anything but allow me to skip the pre-rec history classes in college. We had an AP English class (which was worth it just for the books we read in that class - "Catch-22" in particular) and I scored well and got some college credits from it, so I think it's worth taking the class if it's free and you have the chance - even if you know the stuff it will give you writing practice and whatnot.

Rafiq is offline الاشتراكية هي المطرقة التي نست Committed User
    Blog Entries

Well, obviously as a Marxist (Or a Leftist, if you will) you have a kind of an extensive knowledge on such subjects in comparison to your average joe. But it's this naivity that made me get a worse grade in such subjects then what I could have gotten if I took the class. The main problem with just taking the exams is that, despite whatever knowledge that you have, it will never be able to exist in correlation to whatever ideological rhetoric that is present in such exams. For example, when I took tests in something like a "comparative government" class, it would have questions like: "Which are characteristics of representative democracy?": a) People elect representatives b) People elect representatives with free enterprise c) Government ownership over economy d) People make descisions directly (obviously not that dumbed down, but you get it) and one of the main probelms was simply that I didn't know what they wanted me to answer with because knowing a broad number of ideologies in existence which utilize the terms, it seemed almost subjective and I couldn't make out which specific answer they were looking for. If you take the class, you'll know the flavor of what they are looking for on tests, and so on. But since you have review sheets, it could be different.

I would take exams for U.S. history and European History, but not comparative government or AP world history. Firstly, AP World History covers a lot of shit which is beyond the average constrained all Leftists are required to know. But if you're good with that shit, and you know a lot about ancient history, in detail, and in specifics, this shouldn't be a problem. Comparative government I don't know, as again, I wouldn't know what they are looking for (Lots of subjective shit).

I mean, if you think you'll do well on the test, there isn't a need to sit through the courses (Which is a major waste of time, imo, you're not going to learn anything at all, and if anything, the classes will simply dumb you down).
    [FONT="Courier New"] “We stand for organized terror - this should be frankly admitted. Terror is an absolute necessity during times of revolution. Our aim is to fight against the enemies of the Revolution and of the new order of life. ”
    Felix Dzerzhinsky
    [/FONT]

لا شيء يمكن وقف محاكم التفتيش للثورة

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rafiq For This Useful Post:

I'm gonna tell you right now that taking the European History class won't help you at all on the exam. That being said, the class is much more informative than the exam. It will probably do you some good.

Organisation
    The Inner Party
    Blog Entries

trying to take the AP World History, U.S. History, European History, and Comparative Government exams without taking the classes?
    I didn't think this was even allowed... strange.
    "It is not history which uses men as a means of achieving - as if it were an individual person - its own ends. History is nothing but the activity of men in pursuit of their ends."
    - Karl Marx

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MustCrushCapitalism For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Sympathizer of CPGB-PCC, WPA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rafiq View Post
    Well, obviously as a Marxist (Or a Leftist, if you will) you have a kind of an extensive knowledge on such subjects in comparison to your average joe. But it's this naivity that made me get a worse grade in such subjects then what I could have gotten if I took the class. The main problem with just taking the exams is that, despite whatever knowledge that you have, it will never be able to exist in correlation to whatever ideological rhetoric that is present in such exams. For example, when I took tests in something like a "comparative government" class, it would have questions like: "Which are characteristics of representative democracy?": a) People elect representatives b) People elect representatives with free enterprise c) Government ownership over economy d) People make descisions directly (obviously not that dumbed down, but you get it) and one of the main probelms was simply that I didn't know what they wanted me to answer with because knowing a broad number of ideologies in existence which utilize the terms, it seemed almost subjective and I couldn't make out which specific answer they were looking for. If you take the class, you'll know the flavor of what they are looking for on tests, and so on. But since you have review sheets, it could be different.

I would take exams for U.S. history and European History, but not comparative government or AP world history. Firstly, AP World History covers a lot of shit which is beyond the average constrained all Leftists are required to know. But if you're good with that shit, and you know a lot about ancient history, in detail, and in specifics, this shouldn't be a problem. Comparative government I don't know, as again, I wouldn't know what they are looking for (Lots of subjective shit).
    Yea I run into this kind of thing all of the time. I am forced to answer how I know they want me too, but this is tremendously frustrating. The problem is that the tests are filtered through several levels of bias. There is the bias of the socially accepted academic accounts, there is the official bias of those responsible for forming the curriculum, and then there this is the individual bias of the teacher. By the time it reaches the students it has little relevance ti what is actually accurate.
    Marxist but Beyond Marx

Long live the pamphlet revolution! Down with direct action!

Forum for Progressives of all Stripes
    http://socialprogress.bbster.net/

"There is no Royal Road to Science".--Karl Marx.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Book O'Dead For This Useful Post:

Get 4 or 5/5 on AP exams for college credit. That's money in the bank and you can skip that stuff in college. AP American History is a cinch while AP Euro is harder since European history is longer and a lot more complicated.

I say go for it. The worst that can happen is getting no college credit.

Organisation
    ICC & PBJ sympathizer

My teacher suggested I take AP Human Geography so I'm going to take that, and my Economics Honors/AP US Government teacher thinks I can handle the AP Macroeconomics as well. I'm definetely going to take into account what Rafiq said about the Comparative Government exam, I think I'm pretty sure on what answer CollegeBoard thinks is the right one as far as things like what form of government China and the United States have.

Quote Originally Posted by Binh View Post
    The worst that can happen is getting no college credit.
    And being short 95 bucks for each test
    fka xx1994xx