Thread: Luis Buñuel

Default Luis Buñuel

Anyone else here a fan of his work? If you haven't heard of him, let me delight you with some of his classics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5BVlC40-K0
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim%C3%B3n_del_desierto
    One of the best critical satirizes of religion I've ever seen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ExuuuC-6Zo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Age_d%27Or
    (Under Response):
    "On 3 December 1930, a group of incensed members of the League of Patriots threw ink at the screen during a screening of the film, assaulted members of the audience, and destroyed art works by Dalí, Joan Miró, Man Ray, Yves Tanguy and others on display in the lobby. On 10 December, the Prefect of Police of Paris, Jean Chiappe, arranged to have the film banned after the Board of Censors reviewed the film. A contemporary Spanish newspaper condemned the film as “...the most repulsive corruption of our age... the new poison which Judaism, masonry, and rabid, revolutionary sectarianism want to use in order to corrupt the people.
    The Noailles family pulled the film from distribution for nearly 50 years. In 1933, it was screened at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, but the film did not have its official United States premiere until November 1, 1979 at the Roxie Cinema in San Francisco."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6E_fEmHv8E
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_char...la_bourgeoisie
    Insane (but valid) portrayal of bourgeois life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3gXuynrFMo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_fant...a_libert%C3%A9
    "Chance governs all things; necessity, which is far from having the same purity, comes only later. If I have a soft spot for any one of my movies, it would be for The Phantom of Liberty, because it tries to work out just this theme."
    "The title of the film is a homage to Karl Marx and Friedrich EngelsCommunist Manifesto, specifically a reference to the opening sentence: "A spectre is haunting Europe — the spectre of Communism" (in French, "spectre" is translated as fantôme).This sentence refers to the way in which the idea of Communism was being used pejoratively by the authorities in the mid-20th century to attack all political parties opposed to the established order (church, aristocracy and state)."

Enjoy.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]"Body tissue deprived of life energy turns cancerous. Cancer is the hysteria of cells condemned to death. Cancer and fascism are closely related. Fascism is the frenzy of sexual cripples. The swastika owes its magnetism to being a symbol of two bodies locked in genital embrace. It all stems from a longing for love. Comrades, make love joyously and without fear."

[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma]Khrushchev: "It’s interesting, isn’t it? I’m of working class origin while your family were landlords."
    Zhou: "Yes, and we each betrayed our class!"[/FONT]

As far as I'm concerned, Luis Buñuel is God.

I'll bet that he would beat Stalin at mud wrestling anytime.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Book O'Dead For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    The Church of Latter day Communards

Buñuel is one of my favourite directors. I also consider him to be one of the most important and innovative film auteurs of cinema history. He had a unique and awesome sense of humour which made him one of cinemas greatest satirists.
    El ángel exterminador is my favourite film of his and one of my all time favourites. Viridiana and Le fantome de la liberté are both close seconds.
    "Give me a place to stand, and I will sit on your face."
    - Trotsky in the opening speech to the third congress of the Fourth International.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mass Grave Aesthetics For This Useful Post:

I think the first of Buñuel's films I ever saw was 'Los Olvidados', made during his exile in Mexico. I'm a little reluctant to decide which of his movies that I've seen is my favorite because every time I see another of his films I'm totally bawled over.

Panglossian mentions Viridiana, the Phantom of Liberty and El angel exterminador (haven't seen that one yet) as three of his favorites, but when one watches "Diary of a Chambermaid" or Belle de Jour, or even That Obscure Object of Desire, it's impossible to decide which of them is the best.

For me, Buñuel was decidedly the master of Surrealism and, as yet unequaled in cinematic genius.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Book O'Dead For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Industrial Workers of the World

"God and country: an unbeatable combination for bloodshed and oppression." Luis Buñuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Panglossian View Post
    Buñuel is one of my favourite directors. I also consider him to be one of the most important and innovative film auteurs of cinema history. He had a unique and awesome sense of humour which made him one of cinemas greatest satirists.
    Definitely agree. He's up there with Herzog, Bresson, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Book O'Dead View Post
    I think the first of Buñuel's films I ever saw was 'Los Olvidados', made during his exile in Mexico. I'm a little reluctant to decide which of his movies that I've seen is my favorite because every time I see another of his films I'm totally bawled over.
    Same. I have yet to see a film by him I did not like, although I wasn't too impressed with Belle de Jour.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]"Body tissue deprived of life energy turns cancerous. Cancer is the hysteria of cells condemned to death. Cancer and fascism are closely related. Fascism is the frenzy of sexual cripples. The swastika owes its magnetism to being a symbol of two bodies locked in genital embrace. It all stems from a longing for love. Comrades, make love joyously and without fear."

[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma]Khrushchev: "It’s interesting, isn’t it? I’m of working class origin while your family were landlords."
    Zhou: "Yes, and we each betrayed our class!"[/FONT]