Thread: May Day Oakland or SF help

Default May Day Oakland or SF help

I've never been to a huge protest before and I would really like to make it out to a May Day event in Oakland or San Francisco. So I've never been to a big protest before and I'm not too familiar with either city. I'm still trying to figure out how I would even get out there but I could probably take BART or Amtrak if I could get out to Dublin or Stockton but I still wouldn't know where to go after I got off the train. Like where do people gather to start events off in either place?

Also if I was going to be able to go what would I wear/bring with me in a back pack? Anybody from either city got any ideas?
    We claim to live and die equal, the way we were born: we want this real equality or death; that’s what we need.
    And we’ll have this real equality, at whatever price. Unhappy will be those who stand between it and us! Unhappy will be those who resist a wish so firmly expressed.
    The French Revolution was nothing but a precursor of another revolution, one that will be bigger, more solemn, and which will be the last.
    -Gracchus Babeuf

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A Revolutionary Tool For This Useful Post:

Mapquest your route so that you have a good sense of time and the amount of walking you'll be doing. Yes on the back pack. Bring water, lite food like nuts or apples(you may not be able to sit down and order food), pen and paper, jacket, handkerchief(many reasons), and more water. Also, intend on being out all day with little chance of clean available restrooms. So no big breakfast. Dress for lite for the day as you will be warm with all that walking, but have a coat or jacket ready for the early evening. I always double sock and wear cross trainers for max comfort.
    Occupy SF or Oakland should have a meeting place posted on their website. Or try any of the various left parties websites. God luck!
    Brospierre-Albanian baseball was played with a frozen ball of shit and tree branch
    "History knows no greater display of courage than that shown by the people of the Soviet Union."
    Henry L. Stimson: U.S. Secretary of War
    Take the word “fear” and the phrase “for what, it’s not going to change anything” out of your minds and take control of your future.
    [I]Juan Jose Fernandez, Asturias
    "I want to give a really bad party. I mean it. I want to give a party where there's a brawl and seductions and people going home with their feelings hurt and women passed out in the cabinet de toilette. You wait and see"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prometeo liberado For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Exsulatus

U should go to sf, cops a lot more forgiving. Also sf commune two is opening...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ellipsis For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Exsulatus

Bart will do for either city, Amtrak for sf definately. Pm me if you want, I can fill u in.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ellipsis For This Useful Post:

Lots of water, and if in Oakland, a bandana.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to marl For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Exsulatus

Plus one for durable and comfortable footwear.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ellipsis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by theredson View Post
    Plus one for durable and comfortable footwear.
    Very good point!. Like I said earlier, crsoss trainers. This is not a time for a fashion statement. A friend just tol me the she always packs a roll of toilet paper with her if she going to be out there all day. You never know what to expect in a porta-potty.
    Brospierre-Albanian baseball was played with a frozen ball of shit and tree branch
    "History knows no greater display of courage than that shown by the people of the Soviet Union."
    Take the word “fear” and the phrase “for what, it’s not going to change anything” out of your minds and take control of your future.
    "I want to give a really bad party. I mean it. I want to give a party where there's a brawl and seductions and people going home with their feelings hurt and women passed out in the cabinet de toilette. You wait and see"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometeo liberado For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Bomb-Throwers Internacional

SF is a pretty easy place to traverse, even for someone not familiar with the city. The neighborhoods/districts are rather easy to know which one you're in, and where the others are since if you do get mixed up, all you have to do is find either the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, or any other landmark like that, and you'll find where you are relatively easy.

As for actually getting to Oakland or SF, Amtrak will only take you to a little place outside of Oakland. I don't think any lines go into either city? Greyhound bus though, does take you into either, there's a hub in each if I'm not mistaken. At least there is one for sure in SF, I think it's near the Wharf too. If you choose to hit SF, and just want to ride in without having to get across a bridge, then the bus would be your best bet.

Water and a hat would be good to. It can get hot if you're out in the sun for most of the time, but if there's a breeze happening, you'll cool down quick enough. It's not like SoCal.
    "We are free, truly free, when we don't need to rent our arms to anybody in order to be able to lift a piece of bread to our mouths."
    - Ricardo Flores Magón

"I am resolved to struggle against everything and everybody."
    - Emiliano Zapata

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magón For This Useful Post:

i heard that OSF and OO are converging in oakland at around 5pm on mayday.
    FKA Vacant

"snook up behind him and took his koran, he said sumthin about burnin the koran. i was like DUDE YOU HAVE NO KORAN and ran off." - Jacob Isom, Amarillo Resident.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Shackleford For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the tips peeps, I will have a great May Day!
    We claim to live and die equal, the way we were born: we want this real equality or death; that’s what we need.
    And we’ll have this real equality, at whatever price. Unhappy will be those who stand between it and us! Unhappy will be those who resist a wish so firmly expressed.
    The French Revolution was nothing but a precursor of another revolution, one that will be bigger, more solemn, and which will be the last.
    -Gracchus Babeuf

Organisation
    Exsulatus

Good luck today comrade

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ellipsis For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Communistisch Platform - Kompas
    Blog Entries

My only advice is; Don't get killed!
    Is this resistance or a costume party?
    Either way I think black with bandanas is a boring theme.

fka Creep

Organisation
    Exsulatus

hope u had a good time and kicked some ass.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ellipsis For This Useful Post:

Fuck yeah I did. jbeard thanks for the awesome advice of double socking, shit saved my life. Also thanks marl for the bandana advice, totally came in handy.
    -Gracchus Babeuf

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A Revolutionary Tool For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Exsulatus

Is the something u learned that you would post in this thread for others in the same situation?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ellipsis For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Kasama Project, Rev-Left Study Guide Project
    Blog Entries

How much walking did you end up doing? I usually travel fourteen miles by foot to make it to my events.
    THE REV-LEFT STUDY GUIDE PROJECT
    Contribute today and help facilitate the spread of revolutionary knowledge.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGodlessUtopian For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Kasama Project, Rev-Left Study Guide Project
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A Revolutionary Tool View Post
    Fuck yeah I did. jbeard thanks for the awesome advice of double socking, shit saved my life. Also thanks marl for the bandana advice, totally came in handy.
    How did the bandanna serve you?
    THE REV-LEFT STUDY GUIDE PROJECT
    Contribute today and help facilitate the spread of revolutionary knowledge.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGodlessUtopian For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by A Revolutionary Tool View Post
    Glad to see that everyone here could make it a better day for you comrade.
    The shit we have to do to be treated as humans,right?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometeo liberado For This Useful Post:

TheGodlessUtopian, I don't know how many miles I ended up walking but it was almost 12 and a half hours of walking around with only one or two times sitting down to rest. One march was about 5 miles there and back and we did a lot of zig-zagging across the city. And the bandana helped protect my identity.

A few things which I learned the other day.
    1) Make sure you make a general plan of what you're going to do that day. When the day begins and for when it will end.
    2) Try and become aware of everything that your group will be doing, you don't want to be caught up in a situation you never wanted to be in.
    3) If you don't want to directly face off with the police, don't congregate near the front of the march or the rear but in the center.
    4) Try and keep your eye on the police and check your surroundings for if you need to get the hell out of the place.
    5) Bring some extra clothes just in case you need to change.
    6) If there's a heavy police presence don't wonder too far in front of or behind the group, try and keep the whole group tight.
    7) Another thing I'll add is don't listen to what everybody says, take what people say with a grain of salt. Sometimes I was in the middle of the march or near the end and I was hearing about stuff that people were doing at the front which ended up being completely false.

I'm sure there is more I could add but they're not coming to mind right now.
    Last edited by A Revolutionary Tool; 3rd May 2012 at 07:12.
    -Gracchus Babeuf

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A Revolutionary Tool For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Exsulatus

Fuck yah, all good lessons, especially the part about not listening to what random people say. I am impressed you learned all that in one day.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to ellipsis For This Useful Post: