Thread: How to pop regular old popcorn kernels in the microwave - A Guide

Blog Entries

Default How to pop regular old popcorn kernels in the microwave - A Guide

(Don't know if this should go in Recipes or not. If it should be, feel free to move or whatever.)

I may be the only person who didn't know how to do this up until recently, but I thought I would share since, like many people here, I try to eat clean and I hate the thought of eating microwave popcorn covered in all sorts of fats and salts and flavourings I don't like. I'm also absolute shit at making stove popcorn.

So what you'll need are:

• Regular old popcorn kernels
    • A parchment oven bag (regular brown lunch bags give off TWICE as much smoke after you microwave them and will make you choke...)
    • Seasonings of your choice
    • A microwave

First off, you must dump as many kernels as you wish into the parchment bag. I'm not very anal about measurements, I usually shake out about a sixth of the bottle which makes me something like 8 cups of this shit after it's popped.

Pour whatever seasonings you want in as well. Don't wait until after they're popped to do this. The distribution is more even if you do it beforehand. Nobody likes that one kernel that kills your mouth.

Then, just like you would with a regular bag of microwave popcorn, put it on for about 2.5-3.5 minutes. Stop popping it after it gets too slow, otherwise the ones at the bottom will get burnt as fuck.

After it's done popping, open the bag and turn the fuck away for about 15 seconds because it will let out a lot of smoke and steam. Don't worry, it's not burnt. Then, just pour it in the bowl and you're done.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Stalinator For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Cult of Neil Young

Nice! Popcorn is awesome. I've never once thought about doing this myself.

If you eat a LOT of popcorn, check this out: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Pop...-04820/5969519

My grandma has one (not that exact one) and it's awesome. Only thing is you can't season it beforehand. But it's cheap! And it doesn't burn the popcorn. At all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CanisLupus View Post
    Nice! Popcorn is awesome. I've never once thought about doing this myself.

If you eat a LOT of popcorn, check this out: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Pop...-04820/5969519

My grandma has one (not that exact one) and it's awesome. Only thing is you can't season it beforehand. But it's cheap! And it doesn't burn the popcorn. At all.
    I like my popcorn slightly burnt. Just enough that the shell fragments of some of the kernels are black. Gives it a nice texture.

i used to have a popcorn machine for like $5, but it caught on fire once.. never trusting those things
    this will do
    Last edited by NewLeft; 5th February 2012 at 04:05.