Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching II

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

A short film about the right to protest and how the establishment has changed to remove all effectiveness.
    Strengthened and hardened in the revolutionary melting-pots of the great industrial centres, toughened by repeated economic struggles, victim of crisis and unemployment, witness of the blatant injustice which allows the same cities to contain the palaces of the parasites and the slums of the workers, the proletariat is certainly the revolutionary class, and consequently the only class whose violence can put an end to the social war. - Victor Serge

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GiantMonkeyMan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

My wife is insisting we re-visit Angel, Series 5 (only the last 8 or so episodes). It's OK, I was never as a big a fan as she is / was.

Organisation
    Kasama Project, Rev-Left Study Guide Project
    Blog Entries

Finished watching the one, and only, series of Kings. I thought it was decently written. Too corny in many regards but some of the plot points were interesting to see develop. With the way it ended I would have been intrigued to see how the plot ultimately ended. In all it wasn't anything special though.

Currently am finally getting around to watching the second season of Fringe.
    THE REV-LEFT STUDY GUIDE PROJECT
    Contribute today and help facilitate the spread of revolutionary knowledge.

The Sound Of Music

Organisation
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Just finished watching South Park

Organisation
    Blog Entries

Finished watching the second season of Fringe.

Was a great series with some more interesting cases and a couple of great plot twists.I love the actors and story. Here's hoping that I do not take another year to get around to watching the third season.lol

Organisation
    Blog Entries

Finished watching Elfen Lied...

If you are anything like me than undoubtedly you have a shelf full of anime box sets. With plenty of great selections to choose from there is a genre and story line truly for all audiences. However since we live in a capitalist society lots of crap gets made; nonstop is there uninspired pieces of juvenile franchises which exist for nothing more than to satisfy some teenagers need for importance. In such a crowd it can often be difficult to discern the good from the bad but in the case of Elfen Lied, this is not a problem.

Though only comprised of 13 episodes Elfen Lied is a masterstroke of mature cinema. Lacking the predictable plots of other anime and opting instead for an original take an on old idea (metahumans tortured in a lab) Elfen Lied takes more than a few plot risks but ends up being a unique show which will definitely leave you scratching your head.

The basic story is simple: An unknown number of humans are born with a genetic mutation which gives them invisible hands called “vectors.” Vectors are not ordinary hands, however. These creatures, called Diaclonious, are subsequently captured or killed upon their birth for the mutation which grants them vectors, identifiable by the horns which grow upon their heads, are able to tore apart humans with the slightest touch. Naturally such creatures are kept in check by a shadowy group called the Institution.

However one such creature escapes.

What follows is an intense tale of redemption told through the struggles of the characters who, unlike in a great deal of other anime, have endured intense emotional, psychological, and even sexual abuse. It is a story of sorrow, of forlorn love, freedom, and desire to leave behind the carnage of the past.

Though still encumbered with some genre quirks largely thrown in to alleviate the mass-pooling of blood such moments are rare and have the trait of actually adding to the protagonist’s development.

Though this tale can be disturbing to those who are used to cuddly yearns about friendship it ultimately provides a much needed break from a market saturated with media about megalomaniacal, power-hungry villains searching for godhood. It is a story for adults and youth who reach out for a higher quality of Japanese animation.
    Source: http://popculturecoup.wordpress.com/...16/elfen-lied/

Organisation
    The Working Class
    Blog Entries

Just re-watched season 7 of Curb Your Enthusiasm. "Mocha Joe!!"
    "[People] act like its some kind of rock solid homogeneous body of masculine oiled men with big hammers and flat caps standing outside factory gates chewing tobacco and muttering 'those damn petit-bourgeois students and their alienating camera-smashing, I sure love me some CCTV! Don't you, comrade stakhnov?'." - Ravachol

Generation Kill.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantMonkeyMan View Post
    + YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

A short film about the right to protest and how the establishment has changed to remove all effectiveness.
    HA! That was weird, I did not expect to see his face confront me when I opened this thread - friend of mine.
    "It is slaves, struggling to throw off their chains, who unleash the movement whereby history abolishes masters." - Raoul Vaneigem

"Communism is for us not a state of affairs which is to be established, an ideal to which reality will have to adjust itself. We call communism the real movement which abolishes the present state of things." - Karl Marx

"What distinguishes reform from revolution is not that revolution is violent, but that it links insurrection and communisation." - Gilles Dauvé

Organisation
    Illuminati

+ YouTube Video

Best piece of television of all time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yuppie Grinder For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Blog Entries

What has closeted homophobic pastors, drive-through churches, “cruisers” for Christ, and more youth brainwashing than one can shake a Heimlich Himmler at? The HBO documentary “Friends of God”, is what.
    Though several years, old this wonderful little documentary is still a fun romp into the wonderfully psychotic world of Christian Fundamentalism. The camera crew hits the road across America visiting several religious hotspots and conducting interviews with a wide assortment of spiritual crazies. From bumper stickers road warriors to creationist “scientists” the people viewed are certainly eccentric to say the least.
    While not the longest film it is of length to where it should fill one with enough anger (or laughter) at these loony’s spreading such reactionary babble. The glaring hypocrisies and the groan inducing “I want my theocratic state but you are such an evil liberal” whining, while annoying, still provide a healthy amount of entertainment for those of us who have since become numb to their inane cries.
    Even so, if you wish to expand your knowledge of the ultra-conservative sphere and garner a few cheap laughs than sit back and enjoy this movie along with the rest of us godless heathens (as if the religionists are to be believed, we are all surely going to hell soon after).
    Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...ture=endscreen
    Source: http://popculturecoup.wordpress.com/...riends-of-god/

finished the second season of borgias holy shit. cool stuff. cant wait for the next season.

not sure what next. battlestar gallactica maybe?
    'heavens above, how awful it is to live outside the law - one is always expecting what one rightly deserves.'
    petronius, the satyricon

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bcbm For This Useful Post:

+ YouTube Video

Organisation
    Blog Entries

"Extreme Eats"

http://documentarystorm.com/extreme-eats/

Such a morbid documentary to my sensitive Western tastes that I could only sit and watch it all through a sick fascination.lol... seriously, the things people shove in their mouths-you have to watch it to see!

I'm trying to get my money's worth out of Netflix so I've been watching it lately. Yesterday I watched two movies.

"Red State". Very good.

"I'm a cyborg but that's okay". VERY good (and weird)

Just saw taken 2. It was essentially just taken 1 but that was okay because I liked taken 1 and I wasn't really expecting anything different.
    Last edited by Rugged Collectivist; 12th November 2012 at 19:40.

The Cosby show

Organisation
    Blog Entries

The new epic rap battle: Bruce Lee VS Clint Eastwood.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGodlessUtopian For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    Blog Entries

A vice documentary... "The World's Scariest Drug"

Organisation
    Blog Entries

Some of my thoughts on Avatar

Fun, but just some quick musings inspired by the conversation on the Kasama Project's piece. Will have some real fun when the sequel releases.