Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing Discussion Thread

Default Boxing Discussion Thread

Boxing is a truly global sport that has demonstrated over decades professional fighters with a level of skill, dedication, natural ability, and heart that is seldom found in any other sport. Sadly, the lack of unified organization and promotion along with other coinciding factors has allowed boxing to recede as a mainstream sport and become an after thought of mainstream sports fans.

However these last few months proved that there is still a fresh and exciting generation of fighters new and old, each with their own stories and styles, ready to risk their lives for their countries and fans.

I hope to start being able to communicate with other boxing fans here who share my passion for the sweet science, and perhaps let others who are unfamiliar look into the dramatic world of boxing and possibly find they can relate to the savage yet sophisticated nature of two men proving the worth of their existence by imposing their will in each other with nothing but their hearts and fists.

This year has been a lag, but the last two months had amazing back-to-back fights. I'll post some highlights here; each of these is a candidate for fight of the year, with a third link almost certainly being the KO of the year. hope you guys enjoy!

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video
    Last edited by RedSonRising; 17th December 2010 at 13:09.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedSonRising For This Useful Post:

err..bit anticlimactic without the youtube video windows appearing...how do you do that again?

Blog Entries

I need to watch that Amir Khan fight from this past weekend. I'm a boxing fan but not a huge aficionado because it's so hard to keep track of all the bright prospects and top fighters. I watch the big fights and some Friday Night Fights. I'm following David Lemieux's career now because that knockout of Ayala was beautiful. Nice, crisp technique from that dude.
    [FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONT]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FreeFocus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFocus View Post
    I need to watch that Amir Khan fight from this past weekend. I'm a boxing fan but not a huge aficionado because it's so hard to keep track of all the bright prospects and top fighters. I watch the big fights and some Friday Night Fights. I'm following David Lemieux's career now because that knockout of Ayala was beautiful. Nice, crisp technique from that dude.
    Lemieux is a great fighter to watch for exactly the reasons you stated.

Khan-Maidana was definitely fight of the year...I won't ruin anything but rest assured, his chin is no longer glass. It's one of the links. (HOW DO I MAKE THE WINDOWS APPEAR )

I can see where you're coming from with the hard-to-follow angle, if you want I can let you know anytime a quality fight will be on, whether it be championship fights or prospects coming up.

Didn't watch Khan-Maidana because I still had the sour taste of Haye-Harrison in my mouth. There are still great fighters out there but they are still incredibly ill-served by this sport and the authorities that 'run' it

Quote Originally Posted by RedSonRising View Post
    (HOW DO I MAKE THE WINDOWS APPEAR )
    Don't use the full links, just the youTube identifier. So only put jfbbUhIH1a4, for example, within the brackets
    March at the head of the ideas of your century and those ideas will follow and sustain you. March behind them and they will drag you along. March against them and they will overthrow you.
    Napoleon III

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ComradeOm For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOm View Post
    Didn't watch Khan-Maidana because I still had the sour taste of Haye-Harrison in my mouth. There are still great fighters out there but they are still incredibly ill-served by this sport and the authorities that 'run' it

Don't use the full links, just the youTube identifier. So only put jfbbUhIH1a4, for example, within the brackets

Yea, that fight was a huge disappointment. Khan-Maidana will wash that taste right out though, believe me. The fighters in the clips i showed are sure to provide excitement in the next year or so with the way they've been performing. Sometimes not even the most corrupt and disorganized establishments within the sport can stop these guys from putting on a show.

(Also, thanks for the advice.)

Young talented champion fighting out of Quebec VS 45 year old veteran Bernard Hopkins, the crafty technician. Who will win?

Blog Entries

That Khan fight was awesome. I like Khan's style and he showed a good chin in the fight, but he can still tighten his defense up.

I'm watching the Hopkins/Pascal fight now, on the 8th round..Did Pascal forget how to punch after round 3 or something? He's pissing me off, I want to see Hopkins just get destroyed because he talks shit about MMA.
    [/FONT]

Organisation
    Pretty good. Pretty organised.

Khan - Madaina was a great, great, great fight.

Hopkins was robbed. Ok, he was down twice, but then went on to win rounds 4 through 12.

115-111 to Hopkins on my card.

Ones to watch from the UK - Nathan Cleverly (light-heavyweight), James DeGale (super middleweight) and Kell Brook (middleweight). All will be fighting for world titles within the next 2 years.

Tyson Fury... juries out. He's a big guy, and uses his jab well but badly needs rounds and more skill work.

Blog Entries

What does everyone think about Pacquiao-Mosley? I think it's a mismatch and after Mosley got worked against Mayweather, I don't think he should be fighting the best welterweight. Boxing is just a conundrum, stuff like this is ridiculous. Pacquiao/Mayweather should have happened a long ass time ago.
    [/FONT]

Hopkins did a great job of taking away Pascal's gameplan by disrupting his rhythm offensively and counterpunching/using movement defensively, very reminiscent of what he did to Pavlik. I thought he deserved the nod. His comments about MMA were ignorant but you got to give him props as a veteran technical master.

Pacquiao-Mosley is a really bad fight. Mosley is shot, had his mouth open after the 2nd round against Mayweather and had no snap in his punches or reflexes or stamina against Mora either. Pac could have fought JMM or Berto or Martinez, each which have their drawbacks, but all much more game than Mosley. I don't wanna see Sugar Shane get hurt or have his legacy diminished at this stage in his career since he used to be truly great. Fuck Arum, but Pacquiao could also do more as he is the one fighting.

I'm looking forward to Cotto-Mayorga. I want to see Emmanuel Steward improve Cotto further for a potential Margarito rematch.

Milkshake, thanks for the UK prospect shoutouts.

One interesting subtext that I've been hearing is the suggestion that Pacquiao has never fought an African-American fighter. Some figures in the sport have basically insinuated that he's ducking African-Americans because he's apparently unable to cope with their unique 'style'. Which strikes me as bizarre (and not a little racist) but it seems to be a factor underlying the choice of Mosley
    March at the head of the ideas of your century and those ideas will follow and sustain you. March behind them and they will drag you along. March against them and they will overthrow you.
    Napoleon III

Blog Entries

One interesting subtext that I've been hearing is the suggestion that Pacquiao has never fought an African-American fighter. Some figures in the sport have basically insinuated that he's ducking African-Americans because he's apparently unable to cope with their unique 'style'. Which strikes me as bizarre (and not a little racist) but it seems to be a factor underlying the choice of Mosley
    Well, African-American fighters have brought that up themselves, but it's just silliness. That's one of the bad aspects of boxing, the ethnic rivalries and stuff. It's annoying. Clearly Pacquiao isn't a racist. His politics are a little suspect (he ran for a center-right, at the least, party in the Philippines), but he isn't a racist. It could've played a role in putting the Mosley fight together, but no one wants to see this, so yeah.
    [/FONT]

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreeFocus For This Useful Post:

The 140 division is continuing to get hot with undefeated US champions Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander competing to unify the championship, with the winner likely fighting Amir Khan to see who the best at the division is. Both of these guys are hungry and have skills & talent.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video
    Last edited by RedSonRising; 11th January 2011 at 02:16.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSonRising For This Useful Post:

10 days until two of the best champions in the sport face off as the road to determine who the undisputed best at 140 really is continues!!

+ YouTube Video

Also some good news is that the loser is most likely going to fight Maidana, which is great, because styles make fights and losses shouldn't let relatively young and good fighters fade into obscurity.
    Last edited by RedSonRising; 19th January 2011 at 21:38.

Organisation
    Independant Workers Union
    Blog Entries

It is bizzare to state this. I've been watching pacquiao for years now and for my money is the best pound for pound in the world. I agree that this was just a Mosley propaganda stunt really. Because if you actually look at it the lower weights in modern boxing are not dominated by african-americans as say, middleweight or heavier weights are but are in fact dominated by and latin americans, so if anything its the latinos which seem to have the most effective "style" at these weights. Besides, its not like Pacquiao wanted to avoid african-american boxers - the most prominent African american boxer in the world has been avoiding pacquiao for over a year now!
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. " - Buenaventura Durutti

"The life of a single human being is worth a million times more than all the property of the richest man on earth." - Ernesto Che Guevara.

"Its Called the American dream, because you gotta be asleep to believe it". - George Carlin

Tone ~ Emmet ~ Larkin ~ Connolly ~ O Donnell

www.union.ie

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pastradamus For This Useful Post:

Mayweather is tooo scared to fight Paquioa lol haha

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy2421 View Post
    Mayweather is tooo scared to fight Paquioa lol haha
    What is the general consensus on Mayweather-Pacquiao? Floyd is the betting favorite but I feel generally most go with Manny on activity. They are both stylistically challenging for each other.

Organisation
    Pretty good. Pretty organised.

Id go Pacquiao over Mayweather.

+ YouTube Video

THE FIGHT IS ON TOMMORROW!

Any predictions?
    Last edited by RedSonRising; 29th January 2011 at 04:07.