Thread: LUNk Radio Communiqués - Feedback me

Organisation
    Lincoln's Underground Network

Default LUNk Radio Communiqués - Feedback me

I would like feedback on the LUNk Communiqués. Most of them discuss concrete political issues, so I'm posting here.
    The programs are all about an hour long and are from a radical leftist position.

For more information on the collective, see LUNkRadio.org
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]¡El Pueblo Unido Jamás Será Vencido![/FONT]

Tell me what you think of the Communiqués

Show solidarity through kindness and empathy, join Respectful Discussion Activists

313C7 iVi4RX to my oldschool comrades -EM-

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elect Marx For This Useful Post:

Organisation
    The Party
    Blog Entries

Number 4 was great. I especially liked the Zinn recommendation (when the history thing was discussed in the beginning, I was thinking that it should be mentioned asap), and the mention of free skooling at the end, as well as the general format, that is, discussion-based and not formal, and the points raised were concrete, though, being an anti-schooler, not ones that I haven't heard before, though it was still well done. I'll check out the others tomorrow, I have to sleep now. Thanks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ZeroNowhere For This Useful Post:

Organisation

Thank you.

If anyone has a additional suggestions for new shows, please do post them.

Show solidarity through kindness and empathy, join Respectful Discussion Activists

I could only listen to about 2 minutes of the one titled "identity politics." It came of as immature. Not to say that there aren't valid criticisms of identity politics- there are many- but that discussion was generally uniformed callow.

Organisation

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn Power View Post
    I could only listen to about 2 minutes of the one titled "identity politics." It came of as immature. Not to say that there aren't valid criticisms of identity politics- there are many- but that discussion was generally uniformed callow.
    Care to qualify that a bit? What was immature about it? Did it fail to take certain points into consideration?

I dare say listening to two minutes would hardly get you into the discussion. What did you expect from the opening? It isn't a theses but a discussion by a leftist panel.

Quote Originally Posted by 313C7 iVi4RX View Post
    Care to qualify that a bit? What was immature about it? Did it fail to take certain points into consideration?

I dare say listening to two minutes would hardly get you into the discussion. What did you expect from the opening? It isn't a theses but a discussion by a leftist panel.
    Of course. The first two minutes might not be indicative of the whole discussion but it does have a lot and it is telling.

The framing 'identity politics ' is somewhat inaccurate. Firstly, they say it is a "rather simply issue." Which ignores the complexity of social relations and this topics history which has been intensely discussed in radical circles for the last fifty or sixty years.

They go on to re-frame their 'academic' definition from a someone accurate "political interests based on identity" to a fallacious "basically the issues effecting someone personally." This ignores one of the key principles which feminists and black power movements adhere to- that this oppression is structural and institutional. These movements recognize that their freedom won't come by freeing themselves personally as individuals but collectively.

Moreover, they also don't address the fact that these 'identities' have been pushed onto people. They people are forced to identify in a certain way due to their oppression. That is, 'blackness' is assumed if your skin is a certain shade even if your three out for four of you grandparents where 'white.' You can say you are 'white' but society (and its institutions) judge you as black.

Naturally, everything effects people 'personally.' The class you are born into determines more then anything else the economic standing you will be in when you grow up- obviously effecting you on a very personal level. But the point is that 'identity politics' are not individuals with identity hangups, which seems to be how these people are talking about it. "An interest that you hold very dear to yourself" as they patronizingly say. Again ignoring that it is society and institutions which hold these interest 'very dear' to themselves because they are insistent on this discrimination. (This is not to equate class with social oppression which have many differences.)

These people also equate (jokingly, though it is hard to tell) racist based groups as 'identity politics' like white supremacists. This is immature at best- though probably a misunderstanding of these politics. Racist groups are based on the ideas that other people are less then people. Nothing really to do with a group recognizing their collective oppression.

They then proceed to "*****" about it as they say. Starting off with "why do identity politics suck so much." So yeah, basically immature "*****ing" (sorry if one of them are you, no offense) which they call "communiques."

Organisation

Before I get into this; who are you? I would expect I knew you before a screen name change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn Power View Post
    Of course. The first two minutes might not be indicative of the whole discussion but it does have a lot and it is telling.
    Not really. I see very little value in such a snap judgment. Viewpoints are not discussed in first two minutes and analysis doesn't even start until the basic description of the topic is finished at about 5 minutes.

The framing 'identity politics ' is somewhat inaccurate. Firstly, they say it is a "rather simply issue." Which ignores the complexity of social relations and this topics history which has been intensely discussed in radical circles for the last fifty or sixty years.
    The concept of an identity politic IS simple. The importance and function in people's lives is however very complex. Again, you cannot make such a point before you take in a portion of the show where we get into the discussion. We aren't even deep into the topic until around 10 minutes in.

They go on to re-frame their 'academic' definition from a someone accurate "political interests based on identity" to a fallacious "basically the issues effecting someone personally." This ignores one of the key principles which feminists and black power movements adhere to- that this oppression is structural and institutional. These movements recognize that their freedom won't come by freeing themselves personally as individuals but collectively.
    That doesn't make sense. Collective issues come down to effecting the members of a group personally. Ultimately people are affected personally by group conditioning. Addressing the topic on a single level would actually be immature/shallow.

Moreover, they also don't address the fact that these 'identities' have been pushed onto people. They people are forced to identify in a certain way due to their oppression. That is, 'blackness' is assumed if your skin is a certain shade even if your three out for four of you grandparents where 'white.' You can say you are 'white' but society (and its institutions) judge you as black.
    The assignment of identity is more addressed in the Normality show. Perhaps we should have discussed how these roles are forced on people, but an hour is only so long. By discussing race and women's issues though, you get the idea that this about people fighting their institutional role. You cant expect us to spell out everything perfectly. Again, this is a discussion, not a thesis.

Naturally, everything effects people 'personally.' The class you are born into determines more then anything else the economic standing you will be in when you grow up- obviously effecting you on a very personal level. But the point is that 'identity politics' are not individuals with identity hangups, which seems to be how these people are talking about it. "An interest that you hold very dear to yourself" as they patronizingly say. Again ignoring that it is society and institutions which hold these interest 'very dear' to themselves because they are insistent on this discrimination. (This is not to equate class with social oppression which have many differences.)
    You seem to be taking statements out of context and imparting great meaning to them that is not evident. Social oppression is actually the main thread in the discussion, and I see nothing patronizing about it.
    You seem to be avoiding all criticism of consciousness involving identity politics.

These people also equate (jokingly, though it is hard to tell) racist based groups as 'identity politics' like white supremacists. This is immature at best- though probably a misunderstanding of these politics. Racist groups are based on the ideas that other people are less then people. Nothing really to do with a group recognizing their collective oppression.

They then proceed to "*****" about it as they say. Starting off with "why do identity politics suck so much." So yeah, basically immature "*****ing" (sorry if one of them are you, no offense) which they call "communiques."
    You are quoting one persons statements, which are obviously jokes in the context. I say obvious, because it is said that it isn't the focus of the discussion and we all laugh. I am not the person that made those statements, but yes I am one of them.

Some technical, non-political suggestions...

I don't like video / audio that much. It's good for some things, but not good when you don't have a speaker / sound card.

Also, it limits the exposure of your ideas to search engines, since they can't index key ideas from your content (at least not yet).

If you do have audio / video that's cool, I would highly recommend spending a little bit of time on each, either typing out a transcript, or at least writing out a synopsis of the key ideas, so that people who don't have a lot of time can still quickly get what you're trying to communicate.

Organisation

Quote Originally Posted by cyu View Post
    Some technical, non-political suggestions...

I don't like video / audio that much. It's good for some things, but not good when you don't have a speaker / sound card.
    Wow, no sound card?

Also, it limits the exposure of your ideas to search engines, since they can't index key ideas from your content (at least not yet).

If you do have audio / video that's cool, I would highly recommend spending a little bit of time on each, either typing out a transcript, or at least writing out a synopsis of the key ideas, so that people who don't have a lot of time can still quickly get what you're trying to communicate.
    Well, I will see if I can get someone to do that. If you do get a sound card, we would certainly take transcript submissions

Wow, no sound card?
    Well, I work with computers - and not all of them have sound cards

Anyway, there may also be situations where people can't turn on the sound. Maybe it's a library. Maybe someone next to them is trying to sleep. Maybe they don't want to attract attention...

Organisation

We now have a transcript for the first show. More to come.