RevLeft
Go Back   RevLeft > Blogs
Register FAQ Members List RevLeft Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RevLeft Shortage Alert
RevLeft shortage alert! Current monthly donations are $50.00 below the monthly needed amount of $140. Help Revleft keep running - please subscribe for a monthly donation now!

Old

The Solar System

Posted 18th May 2009 at 06:13 by Ẋʼn

Most of the information in the following post is gleaned from the book Teach Yourself Planets, with additional information and images from other sources. Hopefully the idea behind this post is to provide an at-a-glance summary of the most pertinent information contained therein.

Local Geography

The Solar System is centred around the Sun, which is a G class star located approximately halfway from the core in the main disk of the Milky Way, which is believed to be a barred...
Take back our future
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

So it begins...

Posted 5th May 2009 at 23:03 by Ẋʼn

...My course materials have arrived!

Part of the package's contents include Teach Yourself Planets, which is part of a series, upon which the textbook is based. Skimming through the textbook reveals that it refers to TYP fairly frequently, which seems a cumbersome way of doing it at the very least. My impression was that the textbook would incorporate the relevant sections of TYP, which is what I liked about my previous course, which had everything in one handy textbook. The upshot...
Take back our future
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Prank calls and application forms

Posted 18th April 2009 at 16:59 by Ẋʼn

I've been getting them for past few weeks - it always comes up with "private number" and it's always some kind of pre-recorded/machine type thing. You'd think that people would have the stones and/or originality to do the prank calls themselves, perhaps from a payphone or something.

It's sad really, because there have been some really great prank telephone calls in history. Convincing the Queen to record a speech in support of Canadian unity ahead of the 1995 Quebec referendum...
Take back our future
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Starting a new OU course!

Posted 9th April 2009 at 00:14 by Ẋʼn
Tags studies

So yesterday I phoned up the Open University and asked them to send me an prospectus/application form for one of their science short courses, which include a section which the Jobcentre can stamp and sign so that somebody else pays for the course and not me. Excellent.

I had previously taken the course S197 How the Universe works, and to my mild surprise I managed to pass! So now that I am more familiar with home study, I felt it appropriate to go for another short course, but to try...
Take back our future
Posted in Uncategorized