RevLeft
Go Back   RevLeft > Blogs
Register FAQ Members List RevLeft Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RevLeft Shortage Alert
RevLeft shortage alert! Current monthly donations are $32.50 below the monthly needed amount of $140. Help Revleft keep running - please subscribe for a monthly donation now!

Old

The Solar System

Posted 18th May 2009 at 06:13 by Ẋʼn

Most of the information in the following post is gleaned from the book Teach Yourself Planets, with additional information and images from other sources. Hopefully the idea behind this post is to provide an at-a-glance summary of the most pertinent information contained therein.

Local Geography

The Solar System is centred around the Sun, which is a G class star located approximately halfway from the core in the main disk of the Milky Way, which is believed to be a barred...
High-tech lowlife
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

So it begins...

Posted 5th May 2009 at 23:03 by Ẋʼn

...My course materials have arrived!

Part of the package's contents include Teach Yourself Planets, which is part of a series, upon which the textbook is based. Skimming through the textbook reveals that it refers to TYP fairly frequently, which seems a cumbersome way of doing it at the very least. My impression was that the textbook would incorporate the relevant sections of TYP, which is what I liked about my previous course, which had everything in one handy textbook. The upshot...
High-tech lowlife
Posted in Uncategorized
Old
Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Pseudophilosophical ramblings

Posted 4th November 2008 at 01:20 by Ẋʼn

Introduction

First, I will make an admission - religious fundamentalists fascinate me. They have a worldview so completely alien and opposite to mine that to read their screeds that are frequently posted on Fundies Say The Darndest Things is to take a glimpse into a strange and terrifying (and to me at least) new world. These are people that genuinely believe they have an all-benevolent cosmic father watching over them, that He has a plan for the human species. Many of them also believe...
High-tech lowlife
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Nuclear Pulse Drives

Posted 16th October 2008 at 03:30 by Ẋʼn

Nuclear Pulse Drives (NPDs) will always hold a special place in my mind. They are a relatively simple yet incredibly powerful reaction drive, and not only that but they have the ability to give the anti-nuclear crowd the screaming meemies because NPDs literally use a series of nuclear explosions to propel spacecraft. It's not as crazy an idea as it sounds - Stanislaw Ulam was inspired to come up with the original Project Orion idea when two graphite coated steel spheres were found miles away after...
High-tech lowlife
Posted in Uncategorized