RevLeft
Go Back   RevLeft > Blogs > InvileMachina
Register FAQ Members List RevLeft Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RevLeft Shortage Alert
RevLeft shortage alert! Current monthly donations are $22.50 below the monthly needed amount of $140. Help Revleft keep running - please subscribe for a monthly donation now!

Rate this Entry

What's Your Drug of Choice?

Posted 5th September 2008 at 08:55 by InvileMachina

Last night...

I reached a new kind of high. With so many different drugs in my system, talking philosophy all night with intelligent friends, blocking out the world...

... and then coming down by smoking Marijuana for about 4 hours...

I started really thinking about shit.

The greatest cause of downfall for almost every human being is the constant pursuit of instant pleasures.

Some people get this from drugs, some people get it from sex, some people get it from religion, some people fucking get it from horrible reality tv shows, or music, or even "love"

All of those things can be fine and good, but when someone overdoes anything in life, when something gets to the point of having control over you, no matter what it is, then failure is truly the only reasonable ultimate outcome.

When you're happy, you're high. it's simple as that. Every single time you are absolutely shit face grin happy... it's just because of a certain chemical combination in the brain. What drugs do is instantly set your brain to a certain chemical state that induces happiness.

Sex, being in love, prayer and meditation, ect all do the same thing. If you're feeling good... you're high.

... and there is nothing wrong with that. It's only when you let one thing become the main source of your happiness that you wind up in trouble.

For example, when you are in a relationship and your girlfriend or boyfriend becomes your entire world... they become the single biggest source of happiness in your life...

Once something happens to end that... what is the result? You go into deep withdrawls. What people call being "heart broken" is really just having withdrawls from something that makes you high.

It's the same reason a lot of ultra religious people block out any views besides what they know. They don't want to lose their drug of choice.

Ever study various famous serial killers? Why do they kill? For the most part... they do it cause it gets them high.

Pleasure is good
Discipline is good...

too much of either is what ends up making an individual miserable.

Philosophically speaking...

A lot of Eastern Asian religions are correct. Balance = True happiness.

I'm not even sure if this will make sense to anyone.

Honestly, I don't really give a fuck
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2000 Comments 7 Email Blog Entry
Total Comments 7

Comments

1. Old Comment
    sugar? caffeine? nicotine?
  2. Old Comment
    It happens when you lose control of some of your mental faculties to the usage of ideology, drugs, or other entities. It's good to see another member who recognizes that pleasure and hedonism are not virtues in themselves!
    -Dean
  3. Old Comment

Smoke, drink, but never think.

Can't you see there is a direct and organic link between otherwise intelligent people wasting their lives pouring drugs or alcohol into their systems on the one hand, and capitalism marching ever onwards on the other?

I've been there, done it. Wasted decades of my life living inside a bottle. I crawled out of it a few years ago, but I can't help regretting those wasted years when I could have been learning and teaching, and contributing to the people's cause.

What are you DOING on a forum called RevLeft?

Allen, London.
  4. Old Comment
    Drugs in and of themselves are not bad. Just like anything, moderation is key.

Don't get some idea that I waste away my life being constantly high. No.

I hold down a 4.0, two jobs, ect. I'm young however, only 20, and I don't plan on having any regrets when I'm older.

You could play it safe your whole life and randomly wind up getting torn in half by a semi.

To suggest that just because one uses drugs on occasion that they are useless in causing change is a pretty bold and ignorant claim.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant, however.
    Posted 9th September 2008 at 07:53 by InvileMachina InvileMachina is offline
  5. Old Comment
    Drugs are great. The idea that we can escape a miserable existence is wonderful. But if you are really committed to revolutionary leftism, you should use them as sparinlyly as possible.

I'm not trying to be moralistic or condescending. I use substance as a crutch daily. But I have no illusion about it - it is an addiction, though it is legal. And ultimately, those with addictions cede some of their autonomy. And in the case of our current society, that means that we are beholden to pharmaceuticals in a very direct way. That is scary.
  6. Old Comment
    This blog is very true.
    Posted 9th September 2008 at 22:25 by Dust Bunnies Dust Bunnies is offline
  7. Old Comment
    It's my body and I'll do what I like with it thank you very much. If I feel the urge to smoke , snort, sniff or inject any substance that I come across then it is my right as a human being.

What am I doing here you might ask Allen from London? This is a free forum and I may come and go as I please.

I find your want to control my state of being to be most unenlightened. You have had your chance to indulge in stimulants, why can't I have mine?

When I finish work this evening I will indulge in a joint or two followed by a bottle of red wine. New Zealand produces some lovely Pinot Noir, not to mention some very fine cannabis. I will do this with a few of my friends sitting in my backyard with the smell of fresh flowers all about me.

If this is a crime then I am guilty as charged.
    Posted 22nd November 2008 at 01:02 by Liberte ou la Mort Liberte ou la Mort is offline

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks