RevLeft
Go Back   RevLeft > Blogs > dmcauliffe09
Register FAQ Members List RevLeft Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Philosophy and Religion: Separated at Birth

Posted 7th October 2008 at 19:12 by dmcauliffe09
Updated 8th October 2008 at 15:58 by dmcauliffe09 (misspelling)

Due to the recent spark in my mind that has led me to further explore Marxist thought, my mind has become open to the many things that revolve around such thought, including philosophy. That oh so difficult question must be asked: Why are we here?

Some people say for no reason, others say to live life for what it is now, and some say in order to see whether or not we are good enough to be accepted into heaven. Philosophy seeks to find the meaning of life and of abstract ideas like knowledge and love.

It has recently occurred to me in a some what "duh" fashion that religion and philosophy are almost inseperable. Both seek to find the meaning of life. Religion is philosophy, and philosphy is religion. Even in the wide array of atheist philosophies like absurdism and nihilism, a certain belief is held to be true. To me, even if you ae an atheist, you believe in something. You may not believe in God, but the fact that you believe in something besides God and that you have developed that belief into a philosophy and ideology showcases the fact that you do have a set of beliefs you hold to be true.

I am not an atheist. I don't adhere to one philosohy. I believe that some higher power exists, but at the same time I believe that we cannot live our lives bound to some set of rules that were given to us thousands of years ago. Your morality should not be based upon religion. You should not have to read a part of the Bible that tells you to be good in order to be good. If you do thatm the only reason you're being good is because of fear of repecussions and punishment. If the only reason you decide to do good is because you think you'l be punished, you're not really a good person.

Anyway, what I meant to say before I deviated from the topic was that I believe that we cannot be bound by religious laws. Life is a blessing that God gave us. Why live that life and not experience the pleasures it provides us? Can't you enjoy everything in moderation? If God truly made everything on Earth (as is said in the Bible, Koran, and Torah), why are we limited as to what we can actually use and enjoy? Do we live in an Eden in which every other thing is the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil with a serpent egging us on to eat the Forbidden Fruit? I say this simply: no. I think if you are a good person, you are set for life. Now, we have people who will debate me on what "good" means, but I have no interest in debating. By "good" I mean that which helps other people and which doesn't cause anyone else harm. I don't mean "good" according to any religious texts.

This is just the beginning of more to come on this subject.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 967 Comments 1 Email Blog Entry
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I wonder why you think there must be some higher power?

On the topic of religion versus philosophy, I totally agree. The seperation serves two purposes: initially, to safequard the religious institutions from rational criticism, by pointing out that their ideas are absurd - to say that freudianism is absurd is judt fine. But to say that Catholicism is absurd is problematic, and only because people want to form some distinction there.

A lot of leftists refuse to recognize this, holding on to the idea that we can attack religion more easily if we work on the premise of that distinction (and there actually is no clear premise, just a standard social arrangement to call certain kinds of ideas "religious"). However, this serves to invoke chauvinist concepts of "religion" which usually involve some claim of intellectual deficiency. But atheists shouldn't have to resort to these ad hominems - it only serves to entrench the two sides, and to solidify a distinction which is meaningless, but shields religion from critical analysis.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks